Tuesday, January 27, 2015, 8:30am-
Travel ban has been lifted for our area. Town Offices will be open for business tomorrow January 28, 2015. Please take care when traveling.
~Supervisor Rick Morrissey
Monday, January 26, 2015, 12pm -
The Town Offices will be closed from 1pm on Monday January 26, 2015 through Tuesday January 27, 2015 due to the storm. The offices will re-open on Wednesday January 28, 2015 at 9am. For any and all emergencies, dial 911. For non-emergencies, you may call the Somers Police Department at 914.232.9622.
During the storm:
- · Remain indoors if possible.
- · Stay off the roads.
- · Do not walk or drive close to snow plows; it is difficult for plow operators to see you.
- · Do not go near, or drive over, downed power lines.
- · Always follow the manufacturer's instructions when using alternate heating sources like space heaters and wood burning stoves
- · Do not place a space heater within three feet of anything that may catch on fire, such as drapes, furniture or bedding, on top of furniture or near water, and never cover your space heater.
- · Never leave children or pets unattended near a space heater, fireplace or wood burning stove.
If the power goes out:
- · Call the local utility company to inform it of the power outage. NYSEG's hotline service is 1-800-572-1131.
- · Leave a light on to let you know when power has been restored.
- · Use flashlights or battery-operated lanterns instead of candles, as candles are a fire hazard.
- · Limit opening the refrigerator and freezer doors as much as possible.
- · Do not operate electrical generators indoors (this includes the garage) as it could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Only use them outside in a well-ventilated area, far away and downwind from your home.
- · If you use a fireplace, wood stove or portable kerosene heater to stay warm, be sure to adequately ventilate to the outside to avoid carbon monoxide build up in your home. Never use a natural gas or propane stove to heat your home.
- · Never use the stove or gas range in your kitchen to heat your home.
After the storm:
- · Dress warmly in windproof clothing to prevent frostbite and hypothermia.
- · Wear several layers of loose-fitting clothing to trap body heat. Remember gloves, scarves and a hat that covers the ears
- · Shovel snow in moderation, particularly if you have any medical condition or you do not exercise regularly. Do not shovel snow from driveways and sidewalks into the street.
- · Never start or operate a snow blower or chain saw in your garage.
- · Clear the area around hydrants near your property, if possible.
- · Before driving, clear snow from vehicle windows and roofs.
- · Be on the lookout for falling ice and snow from roofs and gutters. When a lot of heavy snow and ice has accumulated on roofs, do not stand under structures that are not well-supported.
- · During a prolonged power outage, these foods are potentially hazardous if not stored below 41 degrees Fahrenheit and should be discarded: meat, poultry, seafood, cold cuts, hot dogs, eggs, cream, sour cream, yogurt, milk, custards, puddings, soft and shredded cheeses, cut fruit, cooked vegetables, pasta, casseroles, unbaked cookie and bread dough, gravy, creamy salad dressings, fish sauces, hoisin sauce, opened spaghetti sauce and garlic in oil. Remember, when in doubt, throw it out.