2021 Atlantic Hurricane Season

August 19, 2021

The National Weather Service is predicting an above-normal 2021 Atlantic hurricane season.  NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center predicts a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season. The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 through November 30.


If a hurricane hits and power is interrupted, with the current pandemic, residents should be prepared to shelter at home.  At a minimum everyone should have on hand 3 days of food, 7 days of medications, 3 gallons of drinking water per person, led flashlights, and a battery powered AM radio.


Sign up to receive emergency alert notifications:


Town of Somers CodeRed Notification System:  



NYS Emergency Alerts:




Visit the online resources below about preparedness and to obtain specific recommendations:


Town of Somers Emergency Preparedness:



New York State Emergency Management:


Department of Homeland Security:



NYS Department of Health:







Now is the time!  Plan, stockpile, and prepare NOW!

Related News