Qualifications and requirements for Board of Assessment Review Members:
1. Minimum or 18 years of age, citizen of the U.S., and a town resident.
2. Knowledge of property values in the town. (Present or former realtors, appraisers, builders, assessors, architects, mortgage processors, or assistants to any of these would be preferable.)
1. Possess judicial temperament, patience, and tact. The Board of Assessment Review is considered a quasi-judicial body and members are charged with obtaining the facts and applying appropriate laws and reasoning to the facts in a fair and judicious manner.
2. Must be able to attend all Grievance Day hearings, afternoon and evening sessions, on the third Tuesday in June and any subsequent meeting for deliberations on filed grievances between Grievance Day and the filing of the assessment roll on September 15. (In the past four years, this has consisted of 8-15 evening sessions of 2 to 3 hours in duration between the end of June and the middle of August.)
3. Upon appointment, a board member must attend a training session in White Plains administered by Westchester County and again every five years as the appointment expires.
4. Must disclose any interest in any property for which a complaint has been filed.
5. Must take and file an oath of office with the town clerk.